Normal Office Hours
The High Desert ESD Home School office has relocated to 2804 SW 6th Street in Redmond. We are open from 8:00 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. To ensure we are here to properly serve your needs, please call ahead for an appointment.
How to Enroll
- Withdraw student from the public or private school he/she is currently attending. Students must be enrolled as a Home School student within ten (10) days of being withdrawn from public or private school.
- File a Notification of Intent to Home School form in writing with High Desert ESD.
- If your child has never attended public or private school it is not required by law to register him/her for home school until the school year following their seventh birthday. Although not required by law, the High Desert ESD will accept a Notification of Intent to Home School if the child has turned six years of age by September of the current school year.
- Once High Desert ESD receives the Notification of Intent to Home School, you will receive a confirmation letter via mail or email (if provided) for your records.
- SUCCESS! Your son or daughter is now enrolled as a home school student!
- You do NOT need to notify the ESD of enrollment each year but we do ask that you notify us if you move from the area or your child returns to public school so that we can keep our records up to date.
A number of accredited online public charter schools are available for students in the state. If your student is enrolled in one of these programs, they are NOT home schooled students, they are public school students being educated at home. For more information, visit the Oregon Department of Education website at www.ode.state.or.us or call 503.947.5600.
The passage of House Bill 3013 during the 1999 Legislative Session dramatically changed the laws relating to home school. HDESD has now adopted and implemented the resulting administrative rules. For Oregon guidelines for home schooling, questions and answers please contact the Oregon Department of Education. Being that we are the registering agency for the Oregon Department of Education, information on students must be current and correct. Failure to inform our office of changes in address will result in removal from our rolls, and may cause a student to be non-compliant to the Oregon Administrative Rules.
Testing is required for students at the end of grades 3, 5, 8 and 10 before August 15th following the end of the school year. High school students wanting to participate in sports or extra-curricular activities need to be tested on a yearly basis before August 15th following the end of the school year. Guidelines and rules can be found on the OSAA web site at: www.osaa.org.
Testing for home school students is administered by independent test examiners. For information on local testers, visit the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) web site for a list of names and contact information. The High Desert Education Service District will request that copies of test results be sent to our office by September 30th of the scheduled testing year. If your child is required to be tested, you will receive a letter from our office reminding you of this requirement. If you do not receive a letter, please feel free to contact our office. Group testing is available in our area each year and the end of May.
- Iowa Test of Basic Skills/Test of Achievement and Proficiency (ITBS forms A and B)
- Metropolitan Achievement Tests (MAT 7 and MAT 8)
- Stanford Achievement Test Battery (Stanford 9 and Stanford 10)
GED Option Program
Students under the age of 18 who are being home schooled and want to receive their GED must contact the High Desert ESD in order to receive the proper paperwork which will allow the student to take the GED tests. Home schooled students in Oregon are eligible to participate in the GED Option Program if:
- They are at least 16 years of age.
- They have an independent reading level (in English or Spanish) at the 8th grade level or above.
- It has been determined that the GED option program is the most appropriate available at this time.
- Have completed the appropriate home school testing as stated in OAR 581-021-0026(5).