7 Strategies to Promote Student Communication
1. Keep daily routines and then do somethinbg uhnexpected to disrupt the routine.
2. Arrange the environment so a student’s communication device is within reach.
3. Follow the child’s lead by commenting on what he or she says.
4. Label items using pictures/icons which match the ones the students use.
5. Ask open ended questions such as “What do you think?”
6. Give praise and positive attention to their statements.
7. Provide choices and let them know all options.