Finding The Right AT Reading Tools
Determination of need is the starting point in determining appropriate reading tools. A process called SETT is designed to look at the Student, Environment, Task, and Tools.
- Student: List student strengths and areas of concern. Determine if the student can gain information from standard print-based instructional materials, needs the materials in a specialized format, or needs modified content or alternative materials.
- Environment: List places where the student interacts. School, home, classes in the school, community, work.
- Task: List the print materials that are used across the curriculum. Consider the instructional context in which they are used. Select which formats the student needs. Determine which materials are needed in the selected format.
- Tool: After the other areas are discussed, listing tools that have been tried in the past and then possible tools that will help meet the concerns in the SETT areas.
Online Digital Library
Bookshare is an online library of digital books available for individuals with print disabilities. Individuals are enrolled in Bookshare and then are able to download books, textbooks, magazines, and newspapers into a variety of digital formats.The following districts have a process to enroll members in Bookshare.Please contact your districts liaison for more information:
- Bend La-Pine – Lori Witty
- Crook County – Carrie Rosvold
- Jefferson County – Sherri Fessler
- Redmond – Jennifer Waterman
- High Desert ESD – Melanie Schaefer
AT reading resources
Visual dictionaries and thesaurus:
- Children’s picture dictionary: http://giraffian.com/dictionary
Text to speech plug in for Microsoft Word (Word Talk):
Free open source software for reading, writing, and organization (PC only) (My Study Bar)
Internet Public Library– www.ipl.org
CAST reading resources: http://cast.org/teachingeverystudent/
Into the Book: Reading comprehension strategies www.reading.ecb.org/
Online books read aloud: Storylineonline: Books read by the screen actors guild http://www.storylineonline.net/
- Read:OutLoud Bookshare Edition
- Read2Go App for iDevices
- Voice Dream App for iDevices
- Darwin Reader App for Android Devices
- GoRead app for Android Devices
- Who Qualifies for Bookshare?
- Loading a Bookshare Book onto a Kindle
- Loading a Bookshare Book onto a Nook’
- Using Quick Lists To Manage Bookshare Student Lists
Bookshare Video Tutorials:
AT Reading Technology (Premiere)
Converting printed worksheets and forms for computer screens:
- Worksheet Wizard Overview
- Scanning in Worksheet Wizard
- Editing with Worksheet Wizard
- Worksheet Wizard Composing
Adding voice/audio to electronic text documents:
Converting text to speech: