The High Desert Education Service District offers a consistent evaluation process for the Contract and Charter Schools sponsored by the school districts in Crook and Deschutes counties.
The HDESD hosts a regional ALO group composed of the principals / directors of the Contract and Charter Schools and District Alternative Learning Options to network and collaborate on issues that affect the operations of their schools on a monthly basis.
The vision of the ALO group is: advocacy for the success of non-traditional learners.
HDESD hosts the meeting, sends the notices for meetings, prepares the agenda with participant’s input, and records the minutes of the meeting. The meetings have a monthly focus/topic so participants can discuss the topic and share their individual practices.
Meetings are held at the Redmond HDESD offices on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 7:30 – 9:00 a.m.
The evaluation process includes multiple site visits through out the school year using a consistent format. The process culminates with a written report that is delivered to the sponsoring school district at their annual School Board meeting to approve the contract or Charter School for sponsorship the following school year.
The evaluation process and requirements are defined in the respective School District’s Administrative Regulation, IGBHAA-AR.
ODE Requirement for Evaluation
- OAR 581-0220-1350 requires school districts to annually evaluate their private alternative education programs
- ORS 336.615 defines the requirements and timelines for Contract Schools
- ORS 338.095 defines the requirements and timelines for Charter Schools
ALO’s Evaluated by the HDESD, 2010/2011 :
Bend La Pine Schools
• Academy at Sisters
• Bend International Charter School
• COIC: Bend, La Pine Skills Center
• Deschutes County Juvenile Justice Center
• J – J Boy’s Ranch
• Oregon Youth Challenge Program (OYCP)
Crook County School District
• COIC Crook County Skills Center
• Powell Butte Community Charter School
Redmond School District
• COIC Redmond Skill Center
• Redmond Proficiency Academy (RPA)
As required by OAR 581-0220-1350, schools districts have to evaluate the private alternative schools they sponsor annually.
The individual school district’s School Board Policy, IGBHA, defines the exact date the Superintendent of the respective school district, shall provide an evaluation of each Alternative Education Program for the prior year.
Based upon the evaluation of student needs and specific requirements of the Oregon Department of Education for Alternative Educational Options, the Superintendent shall adjust, eliminate, or expand these programs in scope and number.
High Desert ESD